49th meeting of Decision Science Institute was hosted in Chicago, IL. ASOS presented 2 works and was in collaboration-with a total of 4 research projects. Following is the list of works that were presented (*: Graduate Student):
- Egilmez, G., and Erenay, B., “A project-based experiential learning approach in Project Management course” [ppt]
- Egilmez, G., Gedik, R., Oztanriseven, F., and Ezici, B.* “A Multi-Region Input-Output Analysis of U.S. Manufacturing Industries”
- Erenay, B., Egilmez, G., and Sanni, S.*, “Benchmarking logistics performances of emerging economies: A DEA-based Malmquist productivity index approach”
Dr. Gediks’ Presentation
Dr .Egilmez’s Presentation
Dr. Oz’s Presentation
Dr. Oz’s Presentation
ASOS research group’s undergraduate research assistant Callia Ricozzi presented her poster on 9/28/2018 at the SURF poster day at University of New Haven main campus. The research focus was assessing supply chain resilience (SCR) of CT manufacturing.
Resilience is termed as the ability of an organization to successfully confront the unforeseen. Therefore, SCR is termed as the ability of an organization to successfully cope with unforeseen circumstances in its supply chain in terms of time, cost, and quality aspects of purchased materials, services, etc.
The primary objective of this research project was to understand the supply chain resilience (SCR) of the Connecticut (CT) manufacturing industry. To do so, a survey has been developed. This survey was focused on two areas of SCR: supply chain vulnerability and organizational capability.
1- Vulnerability section will enable researchers to understand the common external (power outages, delivery delays, safety and security issues, etc.) or organizational vulnerability factors that affect the operational performance of business organizations in CT.
2- Capability section will enable researchers to understand the current capabilities of our
organizations to cope with the impact of external circumstances such as natural disasters, power outages, price fluctuations, global and local issues, etc. on organizational performance (cost, quality, profitability, etc.). The initial results of the project were presented on SURF Poster day. Below is the poster presented.
High Resolution PDF
We are deeply thankful to the project partners, New Haven Manufacturers Association and Connecticut Technology Council, for helping us with deploying the research survey.
We are happy to share with you that ASOS lab paper, entitled “From green buildings to green supply chains: An integrated input-output life cycle assessment and optimization framework for carbon footprint reduction policy making” won the Outstanding Paper Award in 2018 Emerald Literati Awards.
Here is the complete list of awards (Ours is in Management of Environmental Quality journal).
The paper will be available with full access for the next 12 months.
The co-authors are:
N. Muhammad Aslaam Mohamed Abdul Ghani, (My graduate student) at Upper Great Plains Transportation Institute, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota, USA
Murat Kucukvar, Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering, Qatar University, Doha, Qatar.
M. Khurrum S. Bhutta, Professor, Department of Management, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, USA.
We would like to thank our co-authors for their significant contributions!
ASOS research lab
Dr. Egilmez and Dr. Gedik collaboratively worked on two engineering education research papers in 2017-18 school year. The presentations were entitled as:
- “A Gamification Approach for Experiential Education of Inventory Control“, American Society of Engineering Education, 125th Annual Conference and Exhibition, June 24-27, Salt Lake City, UT, USA [Paper] [Presentation]
- “A Project-based Learning Approach in Teaching Simulation to Undergraduate and Graduate Students“, American Society of Engineering Education, 125th Annual Conference and Exhibition, June 24-27, Salt Lake City, UT, USA [Paper] [Presentation]
ASOS research lab
ASOS lab graduate research assistants Mustafa and Bahadir presented their works at the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers Annual Conference and Expo in Orlando, FL. – May 18-21, 2018